James Whitmoyer, Business Applications Manager, Sony
Title: Going Social with SharePoint at Sony
[These are my quick notes, complete with (what I hope is no more than) the occasional typo and grammatical error. Please excuse those. Thanks!
From time to time, I’ll insert my own editorial comments – exercising the prerogatives of the blogger. I’ll show those in brackets. ]
- Initial focus of this presentation was on the external social media efforts.
- How do they bring social media internally? Marketing to employees is similar to marketing to customers?
- He noted that they are using SharePoint, but it doesn’t look like SharePoint.
- They use My Sites as a way for employees to build their own brand within Sony
- Use Office Communicator with presence to connect employees while reducing e-mail.
- They encourage people to create “My Sites” by featuring best pictures from individual My Sites on a central site called “Sony Source.”
- They are encourage every employee to blog. They search through My Sites to find and promote interesting blogs. Many employees are blogging about work-related content rather than leisure activities.
- They have included an activity stream via SP 2010. This is a more effective way for teams to be in touch – they prefer it to e-mail.
- They encourage employees to build their own brand
- They have a virtual org chart that shows where everyone sits in the food chain and other colleagues who might be able to help. This has led to a huge improvement in responding to queries.
- Why does this matter?
- Externally, this provides a better way to reach customers where they spend their time
- Internally it reflects how people live in their private lives. Therefore, it improves personal productivity.