Gentry Underwood, Head of Knowledge Sharing, IDEO
[These are my quick notes, complete with (what I hope is no more than) the occasional typo and grammatical error. Please excuse those. Thanks!
From time to time, I’ll insert my own editorial comments – exercising the prerogatives of the blogger. I’ll show those in brackets. ]
- They focus on “design thinking” = human-centered design.
- Three key principles of Design:
- Empower people, not ideas – ideas are cheap
- Create platforms for coalescence – give people a place to be together and work together.
- They have a wiki system organized around groups, they have a blog effort that is a rich source of new ideas, etc.
- Facilitate and Reward Participation. Every little bit of friction in the system impedes participation.
- They are maniacal about eliminating friction in the system.
- Bring information to people. Don’t make them go find it. (They use a feed system for this.)
- They display their activity stream on the wall of the office – it encourages people update their stream. This provides built-in rewards
- Good design coupled with good technology will change the culture, which will in turn change they way an org works and what it produces.
- They used a platform from existing software with a custom interface. They are moving to a mGenera platform.